Saturday, January 7, 2012

Making Cold Porcelain Attempt

Today I made my first attempt at making Cold Porcelain.

The recipe I used was Cold Porcelain Paste Recipe by Sangeeta Shah.  I did end up making a half portion though and made minor changes.  So below is the list of ingredients I used.

1 cup Cornstarch
1 cup Tacky Glue (8 oz.?)
1/2 Tablespoon White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Baby Oil
1 Tablespoon Nivea


Above you can see all the ingredients and tools I used, excluding the plastic wrap and plastic bag.

I followed the directions provided, but it was too late when I noticed I used teaspoon instead of tablespoon.  The mixture was hard to mix because it didn't have enough liquid, so I added a little water.  I cooked it for 30 seconds 3 times until I started kneading the mixture.  I didn't put enough nivea cream on my hands because the mixture was sticking to my hands.  When I finally got enough Nivea on my hands and began kneading the mixture while still warm it finally started to look like what it is supposed to even though I made a few errors.  I am sure the second time I try things will go much smoother.


I first wrapped the log with plastic wrap before placing into a zip-lock bag.  I will let it sit for 24 hours before using it.  From the pieces I did pull off, the texture seems fine even with my mess ups.

So, next time I make cold porcelain I will be sure to:
- Measure my ingredients correctly.
- Use enough Nivea cream on my hands prior to attempting to knead the mixture.  Better yet, rub some on the mixture to help remove the stickiness.
- Use something sturdier for mixing.  A $1 spatula from the Dollar Tree isn't going to cut it.

I am looking forward to seeing how the overall texture is of my cold porcelain.  How well does it sculpt?  How long to dry?  How sturdy a material?

No comments:

Post a Comment