Monday, November 14, 2011

2.2n Sculpting (Arisu)

It has been a while since I last updated and I have not made much progress.  With the holidays and other things I have coming up, I may not be able to do a lot of work.  Thus progress may be slow until the beginning of next year.  But I am going to try to keep working on her even if it is a little at a time.

Originally I had sculpted Arisu's arm prior to creating joints, but I think I should have waited in adding muscle details until after the joints are done.  Especially on my first doll since I don't have a clue how to do the joints.


Above is a picture from the post "4.1e Carving Wax (Arisu)" back in August.  (Wow, I have been working on her for a while now.)  You can see how her arm is sculpted to show muscle contours.

Since then I have decided that the arm is too thin and being contoured will probably make adding joints a little difficult for me.  So I ended up dipping the arm in hot wax like a person would dip a candle to add thickness.


Above you can see how the arm looked after it was dipped and how it looks after I carved it down with less details.



This arm is then cut where the elbow joint is and hollowed out.  I used the 10mm half round carving wax balls I originally used to cast carving wax 10mm eyes.  Two are put together to create a peanut shape.


The elbow joint is a tad over 90 degrees in its angle, but not by much.  I need to do a little more thinking to decide how to get a bit more angle while still looking good to me.  I was orginally thinking of aiming for a 145 degree angle (Joint Study: Elbow), but I may settle for at least 120 degrees.

There is still more to be done before one arm is done.  Then to make the other arm look the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment