Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10mm Eyes Project: Part 2

I am going to make a 2 part silicone mold of the eye I made earlier.


So how much silicone rubber will I need?

Mold box is 1.25" x 1.25" x .75 = 1.17 cu.in., which is .91 oz.  That is 0.4 oz of A and .51 oz of B.  Since the eye and mold key (the ring with a triangle and circular marks) are rather small, I didn't subtract them from the total silicone rubber needed.


The silicone rubber for this mold was poured the same time the second mold for Arisu's head was poured.


If you click on the image above you can see that I didn't mix the A and B very well.  You can see some streaking of pink, but the mold still came out fine.  There also appears to be a very tiny bubble where the pupil is, but this should not be a problem since the pupil dip is just to contain a dot of black paint.

After cleaning and preparing the mold, it is ready for the second pour.  (Of course not forgetting to use the parting agent as directed.)


The volume of the second pour is 0.78 cu.in (1.25*1.25*0.5).  That is 0.34 oz A and 0.44 oz B.  Since this is such a small amount, I decided to use my gram scale.  So I will need be 9.64g of A and 12.47g of B.



The next step would be to see how it turns out when I cast using urethane resin.

No comments:

Post a Comment