Thursday, August 18, 2011

Joint Study: Wrist

I decided to take a good look at my wrist and see what range of motion they are capable of.


Please excuse the simplistic drawings, but I think you get the idea.  I determined what range of motion I can get from my own hand and decided how to accomplish that for my BJD.  The idea of the wrist being a sphere with slots is not a new concept.  I did want to make her hands exchangeable, so I am planning to use magnets.

What my drawings doesn't show is how large of a sphere to use on the wrist to accomplish the range of motion while still looking aesthetically pleasing.  That I will experiment with in carving wax to see.

Additional Resource
Zen & The Art Of Articulating Dolls By Using Balljoints by Twigling
Scroll to the bottom for info on wrists.
Joint Range of Motion
I used my own wrist for my drawing and number for range of motion.  Yours may vary.
OVRT Resource
Has information about degree of joints in relation to position.

No comments:

Post a Comment